Saturday, December 6, 2008

why backpacking?

The topic of our annual barkada Christmas dinner was our recent trip to Kota Kinabalu. They all made fun of my fascination with the zoo and they all concluded that it was the highlight of my trip. It was fun, but the beach was and will always be the best part of any trip.

We also talked about future plans, like places to go in 2009. We all agreed on going on an out of the country trip again - but ofcourse given that there will be zero fares again. Daene and I are planning to go on a backpacking trip to Bali, Indonesia next year. We emphasized "backpacking" and Dozi asked "why does it have to be backpacking"? The default answer is that, I cannot afford a regular, hotel-based, shopping-spree oriented trip. I'd rather stay in a hostel (a really cheap one) and spend the rest of my pocket money on sight seeing and frog hunting. Other reasons include; meeting random strangers and hear stories of their travels, the thrill of commuting, seeing places that i thought only exist in movies and books and just the feeling of being somewhere else.
i wonder where I'm off to next...

No comments: